Reading Milestones

There’s a value in stopping, in slowing down long enough to remember the paths you’ve traveled, where God has led, how certain relationships have changed and impacted the way you see life and the hand of God in the world. Books have the power to change our perspective, to alter our convictions, to light a fire under us for good or for evil. Few books make no impact whatever, while some stand as particularly memorable milestones. I thought it would be valuable to take the time to recall and relive, however briefly, those books God has used to teach me about Himself and His world. I am grateful to have gleaned from the wisdom of both believers and unbelievers; those who have gone on before, and those who yet live.

(The following list is as short as I could truthfully make it, and is in no particular order)

When I Don’t Desire God – John Piper
            I know of no other single book that has more impacted my pursuit of holiness (other than the Bible, of course) than this book. Piper is straightforward about the height of the stakes in this race, the cost of laziness in our pursuit of holiness, and the magnificent worth of Christ. True, satisfying joy can be found in Christ alone, and to maintain this joy is a fight indeed

The Call to Wonder – RC Sproul Jr.
            This book put into words what I had thought and felt for so long regarding the beauty of this world and how all good, true things reflect the love of our heavenly Father. R.C. Sproul Jr. is winsome and captivating as he encourages the reader to look around them at the world, to notice the details, and to cultivate the heart of a child whose desires and longings are sated by the simple and the pure.

A Sweet and Bitter Providence –John Piper
            Again, Piper. He draws out the biblical narrative of Naomi, Ruth, and Boaz, putting flesh and blood on the biblical characters, setting the reader down in the heart of this redemptive work. This book not only challenged me to trust God during a hard providence of my own, but also granted me a greater imagination for the situation of biblical characters and their humanity as they found themselves amid the workings of Yahweh.

The Radical Cross – A. W. Tozer
            This world looks pretty good sometimes, and we forget those who are hungry, needy, who desperately need the hope we bask in every day. We deserve none of the blessings we possess, and the grace given us in Christ ought to drive us to sacrifice everything for the sake of the gospel. This will look differently for every person, but shame is ours if we sit idly by and live as permanent residents on this hurting, needy globe. The church has been equipped for far, far more than we dream.

One Thousand Gifts – Ann Voskamp
            The prose of this book captivated me, and I believe has impacted my own writing to a great degree. The bigger thing I gleaned, however, was how gratitude changes everything. Giving thanks can seem peripheral, but it’s actually a way of life, a way of seeing the world, a factor that alters how we walk through joy and pain, loss and gain. Eucharisteo—our God gives Himself to us, and strengthens us to receive that grace as we cultivate a heart that names, acknowledges, and offers praise for small moments, stunning providences, and steadfast friends.

The Experience that Counts – Jonathan Edwards
            This book is an abridged version of Edwards’ much longer Treatise on Religious Affections, which I’ve been “currently in the middle of reading” for about three years now. The shorter version, I’ve found, takes the doxological heart of the Treatise, expounding on the beauty of Christ as Edwards does in such a captivating way. His writing, drenched in scripture, draws you in and makes you want to know more of this King of whom he speaks with such bold, authentic longing.

Love Has a Price Tag – Elizabeth Elliot
            People are complicated, but our obligations toward them are not. We are to love no matter what, and that is the bottom line. Elizabeth Elliot has been through more than I can even imagine, and the lessons she has learned have been born through great sorrow and travail. This is by no means her best work, but the short vignette-style chapters present our calling as Christians in a simple, honest way that particularly impacted me when I read it about five years ago.

Delighting in the Trinity – Michael Reeves
            Reeves does not set out to write a systematic work, or one in any way exhaustive. If I were to venture on his purpose for writing, it would be that of bringing alive the complexity and magnificence of the Triune God and demonstrating the importance of His character in every single facet of the believer’s life. Reeves writes in a most engaging way about a most complex topic, and manages to stay orthodox (as far as I can tell) about a dangerous topic which has slain its thousands.

Fierce Women – Kimberly Wagner
            I don’t think I can overstate the way this book influenced my thinking about godly womanhood, the submission of a wife to her husband, and femininity in general. My own love for strength, deep conviction, and just going and doing has often been a source of sin and pride, and certainly not something I want to carry into any relationship—let alone marriage. This book opened my eyes in a powerful way to the way in which God gives women very real strengths to complement and aid the same men to whom they are called to submit, respect, and love. Strength is meant to be channeled in ways that reflect the beauty of the gospel and this is a high calling.

Bruchko – Bruce Olsen
            This book is a raw, gritty account of a young man’s journey to a headhunting tribe. I was about ten when I read it, and it was one of the many missionary biographies that helped break me out of my comfortable, Western context and by giving me a vivid picture of what God calls His people to in the building of His kingdom.

Evidence Not Seen – Darlene Diebler Rose
            Darlene Diebler Rose was a missionary with her husband for only a year before the Japanese invaded, and she was placed in a concentration camp. The hardships she endured were unbelievable, yet her faith held true. This remains one of the most vivid pictures I have encountered of the way God preserves His own by sustaining their own perseverance in grace. Men and women through the centuries have withstood things that I seriously wonder if I could endure. Yet they have testified that God did not forsake them, and joy was possible even in the bleakest of circumstances. In the words of Paul, they were more than conquerors.

Fair Sunshine – Jock Purves
            This book is true. It is also R-rated. It is filled with Hebrews 11 characters and events from the Scottish persecution under king James and Claverhouse in the 17th century. Men and women, even children went to the scaffold singing hymns, forgiving their killers. They were hunted down like animals, killed in inhumane ways, they lost family, friends, homes, food, possessions, comfort and security of any sort—all for the cause of King Jesus and their unbending convictions. The blood of these men and women runs through my veins, and I pray God would grant me the strength to be faithful as they were, no matter the cost I am called to pay. As John Brown’s widow cradled the head of her dead husband, a dragoon asked her what she thought now of him. Her response? “I ever thought well of him, and now more than ever!” I’ve put myself in her shoes a million times, asked myself, could I say that? Would I remain true under those odds? I’m reminded that He gives grace for everything to which He calls His children, and were He to put me in times like those, He would preserve me to remain faithful and true to the end.

Bonhoeffer – Eric Metaxas
            Metaxas’ capturing of Bonhoeffer’s life in this massive volume is an absolute masterpiece. He sets the historical and theological context, as well as the many influences that formed the man who became a leader and a voice in the German church during Nazi Germany. In a remarkable way, Bonhoeffer’s life demonstrated that courage is born of sacrifice, quiet moments of prayer and meditation, and deep trust in the worth of a higher cause. Truth stands no matter how strong the evil.

William Wilberforce – Kevin Belmonte
            William Wilberforce has become rather an iconic figure, and for right reason. The personal life of this man was perhaps not as fully captured in the film Amazing Grace, however. Belmonte gives a rather honest glimpse of the passion which drove this remarkable man. In the eyes of contemporary politicians in his time, he threw his life away for a worthless cause, yet the abolition of slavery was not his only accomplishment. The vision which birthed this more specific calling was that of reforming the heart of the English people. He realized that what the society needed so desperately was not a change in the laws, but a transformation of personal life and morals. He lived out his faith in a way that was both fearless and discerning. Most of all, he invested in his children, demonstrating through his time, his conversation, and countless letters, that they mattered deeply to him. In pursuing a righteous cause, he did not neglect the hearts of those who were his first responsibility.

Stones of Fire – Isobel Kuhn
            This small book tells the story of a single woman reaching a remote mountain village with the gospel. It was remarkable to me because of the simplicity and earnestness of the calling which led a woman to give up literally everything and to throw herself into caring for the hearts and souls of a people she’d never met.

To the Golden Shore – Courtney Anderson
            Adoniram Judson was one of the first American missionaries—the initial trickle of what became the flood of the remarkable 19th century missionary movement. He brought a wife to India, who died shortly after. He married twice more, losing both wives, as well as several children. He baptized the first convert seven exhausting years after arriving in India. This story highlights the way God works despite lonely situations, the fruitless work, long hours seemingly wasted, a cost which appears to far outweigh the gain. By God’s grace, his ministry opened the door for the next century of missionary efforts which saw stunning growth in India.

Peace Child – Don Richardson
            Each culture contains traces of truth—bridges over which the gospel can be brought in a meaningful way that reaches the hearts of entire people groups. Don Richardson tells the story of a closed tribe who kept and raised individual children from hostile tribes as a security—a pledge of friendship. If anything happened to the child, hostility pended. To these people who lacked any word for grace, for love, for forgiveness, one bearer of the gospel realized the connection with the real Bringer of peace. It all happened quickly, in an hour of danger and peril, and truth of Christ so effectively translated forever changed the lives of those people in the heart of the jungle.

Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret – Howard Taylor
            I still remember reading this book like it was yesterday. I was about eight, and it was late at night, downstairs, a lamp on next to me, the hours passing. Hudson Taylor spent himself for the cause of Christ, and it was not always pretty or easy. Yet God worked through His efforts, and in the midst of frailty and pain. Despite some days when all he could do was write letters, read the Word, and pray, God transformed China and brought souls into the kingdom. I decided then that I wanted to be used like that, wanted to see God working in those ways. I realized I would consider my life wasted if I was not involved in bringing the hope of the gospel to others. Looking back, the way he immersed himself in scripture and prayed for hours each day also challenged me to cultivate those practices in my life.

The Chronicles of Narnia – Lewis
            I have not a few memories associated with the Chronicles of Narnia. From the time we were little till now, Mom has taken the time to read countless books aloud to us. Those times are some of my best memories: quiet afternoons or evenings spent exploring the world of imagination while drawing, painting, baking, making applesauce, making cards, jewelry, or some other creative endeavor. It is likely that this practice more than any other birthed in me the delight in good literature which I still hold today. And the first book I have distinct memories of her reading aloud was the large, illustrated compendium of the Chronicles of that wild and vast land of Narnia. The Focus on the Family radio recording filled many more hours, and the set of individual books became my first target goal as an amateur reader devouring adult books for the first time—and yes, if there were ever adult books, the Chronicles are worthy of the name.

Hurlbut’s Story of the Bible
            Since I’m recalling those first forays into the world of books, I ought to mention this rewriting of the Biblical story which made up a large part of the fabric of my early memories. I generally dislike the overly-simplified, sometimes downright disrespectful excuses for Bible stories which are fed to little children. But this version of the biblical narrative unquestionably gave me a fear of the Lord and an awe of His Word while familiarizing me at a young age with dozens of stories that went far beyond the Ark and David and Goliath. I routinely fell asleep to Hurlbut’s, and probably made it all the way through a couple dozen times. Then there was that time when I did the naughty thing and flipped the tape so it played way past my bedtime. That “other side” told about Moses’ death on Mt. Nebo, and it disturbed me so deeply that I crept, crying, to my parents’ room to tell them the dreadful news. As I was about the furthest thing from an emotional child, that was a rather ironic episode. . .
           
The Space Trilogy – C.S. Lewis
            Rumors are true: some people love it, some people hate it. I had the privilege of reading this trio of books with the companion volume Narnia and Beyond by Thomas Howard (Elizabeth Elliot’s brother), which brilliantly draws out the meanings and themes so easily missed in a cursory reading of this work. These books create a world not unlike Narnia, except on a more philosophical and epic scale. He depicts strange and brilliant worlds so unlike (yet at the same time so fundamentally like) our own world—strange, brilliant, and deeply complex—that it challenges the settled perceptions of our own reality.

The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne
            This book stirred and troubled me more than most other books I’ve read. The writing of Hawthorne is varied and colorful, touching the heights of human intelligence throughout. Without going into a massive soapbox or cutting and pasting the piece I wrote on its deep flaws, suffice it to say I found this a brilliant and a wicked little book.

Ivanhoe – Sir Walter Scott
            Sir Walter Scott is rather a favorite of mine. His entire life story is one worth reading, and his writing is an overflow of personal conviction and a vision to see the culture and nobility of Scotland rediscovered by a young, heedless generation. If I were to choose a writing style to imitate and capture in my own poor attempts, it would be that of Scott.

Les Miserables – Victor Hugo
            Les Miserables is another book which stretched me in many ways. Stylistically it is masterful, but what struck me the most was Hugo’s examination of human nature, grace, and the movements of culture. I found much truth, but also cynicism, and a challenge on the deepest level for believers to evaluate the meeting point between depravity and the good news of reconciliation. We can easily fall into a shallow, casual approach to these things, but this book pulls aside the curtain on the most fundamental needs of men for justice, mercy, and love.

P.G. Wodehouse, John Buchan, and G.K. Chesterton
            Very likely it is a criminal act to put these three authors in the same category, and I beg pardon for such a misdeed. My reasoning was fairly simple, however culpable. I have read the writings of all three fairly extensively, to the point where it would be hard to pick out one particular work, and I find myself recommending anything written by these men (although I might not agree with every word). Each conveys insights into the culture and world of their time, and speak as those who changed and impacted hundreds in their generation with their wisdom and wit. I sincerely wish I was more like all three men in my zest for life and delight in the peculiarities which make humanity so confusing and endearing.
           
Sampson Agonistes – John Milton
            I read this work during of the two “legitimate” classroom experiences I had in middle school (whatever that word means anyway). It was a massive stretch for everyone in the class, but our teacher partially remedied this fact by making us look up every single word we didn’t understand. Milton, I discovered quickly, uses many, many words that most adults haven’t heard, and he even makes up some of his own. I found myself captured by the pursuit of ideas just out of reach, ones set so skillfully in the poetry of a master, and resonating with truth on a level I’d just barely begun to comprehend. Lines I found a loved have stayed with me as old friends in the years since then,
“This only hope relieves me,
that the strife with me hath end.
All the contest is now twixt God and Dagon.
Dagon hath presumed, me overthrown,
to enter lists with God.”

Divine Comedy – Dante
            This is a work which has the capacity to simultaneously deepen the hatred of sin and heighten the anticipation of glory in the heart of the believer. All three volumes are steeped in scripture, with an exhaustive knowledge of Dante’s own life and times. Reading and studying this work challenged me in my own walk to fight sin with a greater earnestness, to cultivate a heart which delights in God and a zeal to carry on this dangerous journey out of a desire for the beatific vision—beholding the glory of my King with unveiled face. By His grace, the load of sin grows lighter as the world decreases in its appeal, the grip of my flesh weakens, and the enemy is defeated by the power of the Spirit within me. May we press on, further up and further in till we reach the full renewal of our bodies and the restoration of full fellowship with our Creator.

The Fairie Queene – Edmund Spenser
            This was one of the treasures of my high school education. In short, it is the story of Pilgrim’s Progress in poetry, and any attempt to capture it will fall short. All I can say is, every person who reads the one ought also to read the other. The fact that this work is so little known is nothing less than a travesty.

A Commotion in the Blood – Steven Hall and Demon under the Microscope – Thomas Hager
            These two books are the odd men out on this list. I include them simply because they represent an insatiable curiosity on my part to learn about the human body—its complexity, problems, and remedies. This genre of literature could be considered to medicine what biblical theology is to Scripture (pardon the jarring analogy). It works the forms and data of the laboratory out in a philosophical, narrative fashion accessible to the common layperson. I’ve continued to pursue this passion with the study of herbs, essential oils, and countless other “granola” means and methods. I suppose at this point it’s an uncontrollable virus of learning how to home-treat myself and anyone else within my reach. What can I say?

A Loving Life – Paul Miller
            I read this early last year down in Florida while my church studied it back home in Washington. It is a short and simple statement of what true love really is, how we learn love preeminently from Christ, and how believers are called to live this out in their relationships. It was one of the most convicting books I’d ever read, and I determined that it would be tremendously helpful to read it again every year for the rest of my life. Speaking of which, I’m about due for the second read. . .

On Loving God - Bernard of Clairveaux
            Despite somewhat antiquated prose, and concepts occasionally hard to access and apply, I have rarely read a book which gave me a richer sense of the love of God for me and awakened in me a purer desire for God Himself. Bernard addresses excuses and feeble desires in no uncertain terms. God holds out pleasures more wonderful than we dream, and we can either pursue greater enjoyment of these things that satiate our longing souls or we can settle for that which does not meet our needs. Sin clouds our vision, and impedes sanctification, but we are called in no uncertain terms to lay aside the weights which so easily ensnare us and to pursue the goal with vigor and desire.

How to Read Slowly – James W. Sire
            As far as I remember, this is the only book other than the Chronicles of Narnia that I have read more than twice. It’s a short and fairly simple introduction to philosophy, religious systems, and the world of the mind. It awoke in me a desire to study and understand ideas and the ways they impact men and nations. I haven’t made it all the way through Sire’s longer book The Universe Next Door, an examination of different systems of thought and belief presented and evaluated from a biblical perspective and addressing their critical importance in the climate of the world today.

Ordinary – Michael Horton
            Everyone loves the hero. Everyone wants to be the hero. Yet God calls His people to labor in the trenches, often unrecognized. The work of the kingdom is done by the faithful pastor who shepherds sinners, the mother who disciples the hearts of her children, the businessman who reflects Christ to those around him. Radical revolution is always set against organic reformation, and though human nature gravitates toward the former, God’s people are called to pour themselves out for the slow, tedious growth and change of individuals.

Christ of the Covenants  - O Palmer Robertson
            My view of the Word of God and the story of redemption underwent massive changes during my first semester at Bible college, and this book played a large part. Every story, every event, every prophecy, every person, every conversation recorded in scripture fits into the larger account of a God who redeems His people out of gratuitous love and mercy. In this stunning act, Christ stands preeminent, and every page of the Old Testament points toward Him and His coming. Robertson outlines this truth in a captivating way that God used to transform my reading and understanding of scripture.

Systematic Theology – Berkhof
            It is perhaps an odd thing to include a systematic theology on this list, and it is no way meant to be a statement of intellectual prowess. Many other theologians have been gifted to categorize and describe truth (after all, making distinctions is the prerogative of theologians), but Berkhof has stood out in my own studies as a man who conveys not only the order but also the intense beauty of the Reformed faith. I have been brought to my knees or raised my hands countless times in repentance and awe while reading his systematization of scriptural truth. Concepts such as predestination, election, creation, providence, and foreknowledge are seen by many as proud, esoteric doctrines, but under the pen of Berkhof they come alive, showcasing the power and love of a mighty Redeemer.


Comments

Popular Posts