A little bit of nothing

Well it seems this independent study course (which I thought was a bright idea) has caught up to me.
Aaaand I discovered some additional homework in a dark, dusty closet (er, not). So a week before leaving for school I find myself two papers and several hundred pages away from -

. . . from beginning six more classes. *sigh*

All that to say I am at perfect liberty to write a paper on biblical self-image, but not to drivel on for hours about things I happen to find interesting. There is always a balance to freedom, I suppose.

However, in honor of the fact that it is winter here in Washington (no matter what other unmentioned states might pretend), I romped around outside with my camera yesterday morning. I've come on my blog this morning to say a little bit of nothing, to post pictures of this exciting event, and to share a couple quotes that have struck me in the midst of my study.







 
-->
“When we look at Jesus Christ, we realize there is a twofold strangeness about him. There is, first, the strangeness of his deity. He is the God-man, the one who is bold enough to say that he and the Father are one. . . He is the one who forgives sins. . . He is the one who even dares to say, ‘Before Abraham was born, I am!’ (Jn. 8.58) But there is also the strangeness of humanity. Though genuinely human, he is unique in his humanity. He is totally sinless. His obedience to the Father is perfect, his prayer life is unexcelled, his love for people is fathomless. And then we realize that this strangeness makes us ashamed, because it tells us what we all should be like. The strangeness of the human Jesus holds a mirror before us; it is an exemplary strangeness, for it tells us what God’s intentions are for each of us.” 
~ Anthony Hoekema




 

“’[W]e come to realize that there are more ordinary kinds of heroism, from which daring deeds. . . are absent, which are for the most part unsung and unrecorded, but which nevertheless require great endurance and ingenuity. This adventure will take the form of a journey, but it will most likely be an interior journey. There will be a desire to tell the story, but the audience for it will be small: perhaps only one or two others will know, perhaps only God. The most common form this adventure takes is marrying and raising a family—although there are certainly other forms . . . The heroic thing required of ordinary people is sustained commitment.”
~ Kilpatrick





















Comments

Popular Posts