Georgia Time


I hold this in common with grizzly bears, that I have been in hibernation since my Cambodia trip. . . editing pictures, trying to unbury myself from school, and life in general—and now I’m in Georgia.  I thought I might have some small hope of graduating before I turn thirty. . . but no, the Lord had other plans. . .  J (hopefully SOMEDAY they will include graduating). 

A dear friend of our family, Grace Goreth, is the daughter of Cameron Townsend, the founder of Wycliffe, JAARS, and SIL.  He was an amazing man, used by God in powerful ways, a pioneer in translation techniques, missionary aviation, and effective mission policy.  His daughter, Grace, is an incredible lady who has a passion to share her Dad’s vision to reach those who do not have the Bible in their language. . 

Just a couple weeks after returning from Cambodia she called me and asked if I would be willing to join her on a speaking tour in the South—not to speak mind you!  I helping set up/tear down, and acted as her companion and assistant. 

Yesterday I returned from a whirlwind tour of Georgia that included Americus, Savannah, Marietta, Valdosta, Fayetteville, and Macon.  It’s so good to be back home, with the growing gardens, the lush, green trees, the wonderful people I live with, my own books, making food instead of just eating it. . . home is the absolute best!

I learned a great deal from Grace.  She praises the Lord constantly and out loud all through the day for everything, no matter how small.  She lays all troubles, small and big before Him, either in a shared moment of prayer or a quick petition.  She takes great joy in life, and possesses an effervescence that borders on wild. ;)  She cares personally about each person, and no matter how tired she felt at the time, she took the time to talk, to listen, and encourage.  She has a tireless passion for God’s work, to see Him work and be glorified in all the world.  One of the grandest traits she inherited from her parents:  she honors everyone, no matter how young or old, kind or frustrating.

I spent two weeks with this godly lady that I will never forget.  We shared laughs and exhaustion, crazy jokes and prayers, and I consider it an amazing privilege to count her as my friend.


A hotel in Marietta where we held one of our banquets.



On the streets of Athens--that was probably my favorite place we visited.



Awesome little local place with fresh food.



The trees in Georgia are wonderful!  I was dying to climb one, but the opportunity never presented itself- (chances become limited, I found, if one is constantly in a skirt ;)).



Charming, gnarly old thing...



Streetside cafe in Savannah



Trees!-and don't complain that I'm obsessed with trees--you know it's true. 




One of the many historical squares in Savannah.



One of the oldest Presbyterian churches in America.






And, to close with...another picture of *trees*~

Comments

  1. Welcome home, Simona! You have been missed. I love the pictures and look forward to seeing more when thing settle down for you (which I'm beginning to worry is never going to happen!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simona, that sounds incredible. Who needs to 'graduate' when you're living life? Graduating, is over-rated ;) I'd much rather just go on living and learning. Exactly what you're doing :)
    Would love to talk sometime soon...
    love grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mrs. Stellman! It's good to be back! Going out with you is definitely a priority for this summer, after I graduate... (maybe). :)

    I'd agree, Grace. As we would say it, the world is the schoolroom, and most things could be classified as education. ;) I have your sweet letter here and am looking forward to responding soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts